Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wednesday - Day 3

Well... I wish I could tell you I got in my library and got comfortable. I wish I could say that I started making some wonderful changes but that isn't the case.

I got in on the first day and was introduced to a million people that I still don't know their names. I was shown and told a thousand different things that are suppose to be done then went home completely exhausted.

Tuesday and Wednesday I sat in a hallway almost all day because we were benchmarking. Gotta love standardized tests (especially in Texas).

I am fairly concerned with the organization (or lack of) that is present in the library. I tried to find a few books about St. Patric's Day but couldn't find the first three. So I think the next step for me is to start weeding.

I am coming from a school library that had very few books to a library that has so many that they barely fit on the shelf. IT'S AWESOME!!!! to have so many choices for the students but that means that many of the books are never touched.

My plan for next week is to create a "HELP ME!!! SAVE OUR STORIES!!" display for the books that are aged and haven't been checked-out the past couple of years. I will post pictures when I get it set up.

So now that I can finally get into my library I hope to provide you with more information on what to expect as a first year librarian in a library that has been in turmoil for three years.

(I'm sure many surprises and nightmares are in store.)

1 comment:

  1. Hi April--I found your blog while looking for other elementary librarian blogs. I haven't been very successful in finding many elementary library blogs designed to help the librarian in his/her job, have you? I am new to the blogging world (I just started a library blog this last weekend), but not to the librarian world. I am in my 12th year as an elementary librarian. It's such a fun, rewarding job--good luck!

    ReplyDelete